Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tomatoes (2 of hopefully 3!)

The canning went great! I have 9 pints of tomatoes in my pantry all properly sealed and suspended in time. That's the goal at least, we'll find out in a few months how they taste. I was so anxious about it, but once I got into a rhythm, it was actually fun. I did think of it as a bit of a dance. Core the tomatoes and score the bottoms, drop them in the water, while they're boiling peel a few to drop in a jar. Add the acid and scoop the others out of the water. Put the finished jar in the canner and repeat. I was definitely overwhelmed by all the recipes, variations, warnings. and suggestions. There is no lack of information when you enter the realm of preserving.
My intention was to make sauce, but I decided I should try something a bit simpler my first time out, so I just canned them whole (or mostly whole) in their own juices. Hopefully this gives us the freedom to make anything out of them later this winter.
I hope to add some pictures this week, but we'll just have to see if I can get the phone and computer in the same room at the same time to make that happen.
Fingers crossed for me as I have a 1/4 bushel left to process. Planning to slow roast and freeze today. Then I'm going to try and freeze 2 pints of heirlooms. Yum!
If all goes well, winter will be a blip on our radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment