Friday, July 27, 2012

Home Sweet Home!

Well, we're back from Asheville, NC. We snuck away for a few days to celebrate our anniversary. We were most excited to go to Asheville because the local culture there is huge. We knew we could shop and eat, and trust that for the most part it would be local.

They have these great pro-local images that they print on all kinds of things (magnets, bumper stickers, and t-shirts for example.) They are all about buying local and supporting their town. I wanted one of the shirts so I could pop a little N on the front (I know it would still be misspelled) and wear it proudly around town. I like the message very much and I liked the way the shirt was designed. I would buy a Nashville version in a second.

They also have a local card that you can buy to get discounts in various local stores throughout the year. The money from the sale of the card goes to various organizations such as the public schools and the local business community. I think the rest covers the cost of making and printing the cards. 

It was refreshing to spend time in a place that has such a strong and united consensus to support local and small businesses. I like that they are upset about the Trader Joe's coming and were so angry about Whole Foods buying out their local Green Market, that they left the name the same, even though Whole Foods owns it. Lots to admire and appreciate about the Asheville green scene.

As fun as it was (and it was fun!), there's no place like home. I learned a lot, had a lot of fun, and ate some amazingly delicious food. I also missed Mitchell's Deli and our GreenDoorGourmet and our Produce Place. I am realizing that these places are more than simply places to buy food. Local businesses are more than the sum of their parts or the products they sell. If you have local treasures of your own, you know exactly the feeling that I'm ineloquently describing, and if you don't, then you won't until you do.









No comments:

Post a Comment