Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Oh So Delicious! (Please, Please, Let Them be Delicious...)

I'm going out on a limb today and making some chocolate chip cookies. How is that a limb, you ask? Everyone makes these; chocolate chip cookies are a trunk if ever there was one.
Well, I'm going to use Olive and Sinclair chocolate pieces for the chips and I have whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. If you know anything about Olive and Sinclair you know these cookies will be special and rich and decadent. I couldn't find a recipe specifically made for their brand of dark/white chocolate, so I'm using a standard dark chocolate chip recipe. I'm hoping the use of my super dark chocolate (75%), buttermilk white, and whole wheat flour will result in a delicious treat anyone would love to eat.
I don't want to waste one speck of that delicious chocolate so I've got to be on my A game, not just in the recipe, but also in the baking stage. Oh, please, please, let them be delicious!

Update:
They were delicious. Definitely not a fragile cookie, but a hearty, denser version of an old favorite. I only had about 1/2 the chips recommended for the recipe, but I think that worked in my favor. Had I put 10 ounces of Olive and Sinclair chocolate in my small batch of cookies, the chocolate would have completely overpowered the rest of the cookie. These cookies have a nice balance to them and if when I make them again I'll cut the chips portion in half on purpose.
I think there's also something to be said for the less is more approach and having less chips makes you really appreciate each morsel or chip.  If you're using industrial chocolate, by all means, add in all the chips you can to achieve a rich chocolate flavor. If it's artisan chocolate, know that you'll need less. It reminds me of something Michael Pollan said in one of his books - "pay more, eat less". Makes perfect sense to me. Now there are 2 dozen chocolate chip cookies in my freezer just begging to be eaten. I'm hoping they last the month, but time will tell. They sure are tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment